When I started this blog it was in response to some of the mis information available about Chinese built tractors. They are value for money which may have won on sites like w88, reliable work horses. Below is a posting on a French Forum where the question was asked “Foton does any one know about them are parts available”. There is then a line of posts over several years with opinions that make you wonder if the Chinese tractor industry has any future at all. The one thing that all these contributors have in common is that not one of them has ever owned a Foton tractor or dealt with Foton Tractors! Then on May 13th 2013 the comments below were posted. I have only just found them. So are Foton Tractors any good? I can confirm the author of the comments is a customer of Foton Tractors and has been an absolute gentleman to deal with, like most of our customers. A big thank you to Elie for your business and your kind words.
I bought my Foton tractor from that company, and they are VERY OK ! Honest people.
As for the tractor itself:
– This company was much cheaper than the official French importer, who charged around €4.000,00 more. A dealer, just a few miles from where I live, charged €2.500,00 more that the UK seller. The latter, I assume, where a dealership from the French Ardennes based dealer/importer, who also sells ‘other brands’ (Europard, Geo, Eurotrac = the same machine) and another brand. Now, I’ve visited this company, and decided never to buy from them.
– The tractor itself: you get a lot of tractor for your money. The few flaws where minor (assembling) and were easily repaired by me. I was compensated for that by the dealer.
– I had one flaw after the warranty was ended, but David, the Kent dealer send me a spare, free of charge. Look for such a service elsewhere… And they have the spare-parts.
– Disadvantages of this tractor: in wintertime and for small jobs, you won’t the engine at normal temperature because it has a permanently driven fan, attached to the water pump. This results in more consumption, more pollution and more wear over time. I solved that problem by removing the fan (= easy) and installing a 12V fan, bought on eBay UK for a few pounds (sold as tune-up for VW Golf). Fits good. Plus a thermocouple (85°C) of less than €1,00 from a Chinese eBay seller (shipping incl.). Besides that, I installed an emergency switch on the dashboard, in case the thermocouple wouldn’t function. But never had to use it. Now, with this upgrade: I have a tractor that is a marvel ! I don’t have an idea about the cooling of the other brand
– From the Foton Tractor Company (Kent), I received all the papers to register the machine in France. European papers. Because the French sell them also: no problem to register. I still need to do it myself, but be aware that you need to make it road legal: mirrors (cheap in the UK), warning light (revolving), numberplate light. You need to let it be inspected by an inspection station. No big deal. If you don’t need to go on the road: no need of course to register.
– The servicing (maintenance) I do myself. With lots of experience in car repair, I needed to adjust just a bit to be able to service this tractor.
In short: very satisfied about the machine and the seller.
Best wishes to all,
Name available [contact author]
Forum Address available [contact author]
There is a huge range of tractors available in the market nowadays, such as those John Deere tractors, so ensure that you clearly establish your requirements before making a decision of what you purchase and where you purchase it. It is also worth considering to invest in a custom tractor machine.
Will you be using the tractor for mowing, cultivating, growing plants or perhaps landscaping jobs? A Foton compact tractor of 28 -40hp will carry out all these tasks. These tractors are smaller editions of the traditional farm tractor and are able to do a variety of jobs that range from mowing your lawn or paddock to a lot more heavy-duty landscaping jobs. With all the appropriate implements, the Foton tractor can do jobs like digging, hauling, mowing or perhaps ploughing, making it useful for a wide variety of applications.
Should you own a smallholding, equestrian yard, school, golf club, park or anything similar a Foton tractor can assist you mechanise the more complex jobs like tilling, ploughing, mowing and also sowing . Do you want your Foton tractor to perform a lot more jobs like loading and excavating? Then perhaps consider a Foton tractor that allows for implements like power loaders or perhaps back hoes to be easily installed.
Once all the above has been considered and you have decided on the size and specification of your tractor then consider how much you want to pay for it. There are the major brands for which you could pay up to 3 times as much as a “New World” built tractor from China or Korea. Some of the offerings from the “major European manufacturers” are from that region and come with a European price tag! The main consideration has to be will it do the job, is it reliable and can I get back up if I need it. Since 2008 we have been in a serious financial down turn, budgets have been slashed but the Foton tractor business has increased year on year. The reason is that the larger buyers like County Councils still have the work but not the budget so they have been buying less expensive Foton tractors found them to be more than capable and purchased more. One customer now has a fleet of 22 Foton FT254 & FT250 tractors because they are great value for money and get the job done.
And remember, once you have purchased your new tractor, it’s essential to prioritize the safety of your employees. Tractors can be dangerous machines, and accidents can happen if proper safety measures are not followed. Ensure that all employees who will be operating the tractor have received adequate training on its use and safety procedures and also make sure to improve safety with the correct gear. Most importantly, the use of lubricants such as Klubersynth in machineries and equipment will be greatly beneficial and you can be rewarded with longer living and better performing equipment and machines.
Foton expands its tractor line up in the UK with a new narrow-width, low-profile tractor – the CITRAX 504 – specifically for use in vineyards, orchards and other tight row crops. “This new Foton tractor can be used anywhere that room is tight.
The Foton mechanical front drive model measures just 955mm wide, making it ideal for tight spaces. With the rugged build quality expected from a Foton tractor. The CITRAX 504 is equipped with a quiet and efficient 4 cylinder Jiang Dong engine.
The Foton CITRAX 504 is available with a versatile, 8×8 or 16×8 meshing bush transmission, both versions features ideal ground speed selections for all tasks in all ranges. A top speed of 17 mph or 30 km/h, depending on tyres is obtainable. Both Foton CITRAX models have dedicated right-hand synchronized mechanical shuttle control.
The tractor comes with a three-point cat 1 hitch that provides 3500 pounds of lift capacity, mechanical draft control and raise/lower function with easy operation . Hydraulic output is 23 /L per minute (LPM) which is available to the implement.
The power take off (PTO) on Foton CITRAX 504 tractors is mechanically engaged using a convenient lever. It is also equipped with a 540/1000 rpm PTO and an independent parking brake.
The Foton CITRAX 504 is available as a ROPS open platform or full-cab model. Foton ROPS tractors feature a foldable, mid-mount rollbar, , and a comfortable seat. Cab models are fittedwith integral ROPS. In addition, cab tractor features a heater and tinted glass, front and rear wipers and washers, cab doors on both sides with locks, rearview mirrors and light.
“If you have a big job to do with only a narrow space to get it done, with a Foton CITRAX tractor offers operators the size, power and flexibility you require at a price you can afford.